Wednesday, October 04, 2006


Yesterday I had a conversation with my friend Lemons about my current work-in-progress. During the explanation of my intention for this piece, I told her that I am interested in creating an "extended moment." I want to create an experience for the audience and that experience is about one particular moment in time which might take many minutes and hours to recreate.

This seems to be a theme in my life right now. I am interested in these times that seem everlasting only because the sensory experience is so rich. These moments are usually created spontaneously and naturally. So how can I go about choreographing them? I don't know. How can one recreate the feeling of experiencing nature?

If I figure out how to do it on the stage or in a gallery for an audience, will I be able to do it in my daily life? I hope so. Or maybe I will just figure out how to engage my senses more fully. That is my true challenge, the challenge to feel more all the time and to live in awareness.

----

Speaking of senses, my improvisation teacher recently told me that proprioception has been considered the "6th sense" since the 19th Century. Proprioception is the sense of internal motion. It is the thing we feel when our organs are acting up or when our blood is pumping. Why didn't I know this before? I feel it every moment of everyday...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home