Tuesday, December 12, 2006

I am sitting here about an hour after the completion of the first Near...Further Aurora and Annie performance (I don't know a title we are really going by). I am really happy with how it turned out. I had 6 audience member sitting in my cramped bedroom in the PowerHouse with an internet source, a video camera, an amp, a borrowed Mac, and a headset. We listened to Chicago and watched images appear on the computer screen as I responded with words and images. It was great to hear the audiences in Chicago and New York and they could hear each other. Laughter carried from one end to another. Sometimes laughter was provoked by unseen movements and sometimes ununderstood jokes.

Even though I could not see Aurora or the Chicago audience, it felt intimate. I imagined what the audience looked like, how they were sitting, and what motions they made when they were asked to do so. I wonder if they thought about the New York audience, and if they didn't, our sounds reminded them to. And even though I know Aurora the best, I could not imagine her or the movements she made. I can imagine how she moves naturally, but I do not know how she moves when she is moving with my moves. I wonder what she wore. When I told my mom about this performance, she said, "Aurora, the one with the tights?" I wonder if my mom also remembers Aurora's tattoo, it was hard to miss in that piece.

Tonight was really nice. I am really pleased with what went on, especially that which I did not see.

----

Today I finally put into words a habit I have. I realized that I usually understand in my body before my mind and sometimes I have difficulty trying to put into words that which is mostly in my body. I think when I am tired and/or stressed the body to mind process slows. Often when I try to put into words that which I feel, and don't yet understand in the mind, I cry. It is not that I am sad, it is that I feel pressure in my body and in my mind. I am not good at giving definitive answers in words.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home